Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Living Word

I picked up a Bible from my shelf today that I've had for over forty years. It used to have a paperback cover. Now it is bound in red double knit fabric with cardboard inserts. The last few pages are barely held in by yellowing scotch tape. The spine came loose from the cover years ago. The first ten pages don't fasten to anything. The inside pages have markings of yellow highlighter, black underlining, red Flair pen, and pencil notes. This Living Bible, copyright 1971, is the story of my early faith. The verses I marked, the notes I made, as well as the pages without a mark, all tell of my struggles and growth as a Christian.

The freshness of this paraphrase in the 1970's was similar to the clear breeze that The Message brings for people today. I remember drinking in every page as if Jesus wrote it personally to me. This was NOT my mother's Bible! And my faith was uniquely and delightfully my own as well. -- Which was a good thing since I lived 700 miles from home and we didn't have unlimited long distance in those days!

I don't use that particular copy of the Bible anymore. I keep it as a memento of those early days. It is a good thing my faith does not depend on that book. It's too fragile to hold up to the demands of my life now. Preaching, teaching, praying, studying . . . those flimsy pages could never keep up. My faith is not in the printed word, but in the Living Word that the printed word reveals. The Word of God is living and active and sharper than a two-edged sword, separating our thoughts and motives (Hebrews 4:12). The Word of God was in the beginning with God (John 1:1). The Word of God became flesh and lived right here among us (John 1:14). That truth is too good to keep on a shelf!

1 comment:

  1. YOU REVIVED IT!!!! Oh Happy Day!!!!! I love this!!!!! and I love you....

    ReplyDelete