Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Night Light

I look at the calendar and realize that it has been over a week since I've written about Scripture. This coincides with the start of teacher workdays and students coming back to school!  At this point I have several choices:  I can feel guilty that once again I have failed to keep up with a Bible-reading and reflecting habit.  Or I can give up. Or I can ignore it ("nobody's perfect") and start again.

Let me give you a peak into the thoughts that I had about this devotional time early this morning.  I was watching the wind whip through the trees as gusts from Hurricane Irene blew rain across our county.  Should I turn on the computer or would we have more power surges and flickers?  As long as I have electrical power my night light will work and that is enough light to at least get through the house. I needed to get back to my blog with daily (!) Bible reading. Was I really so undisciplined that I couldn't read the Bible and write about it every day?  "Your Word is a lamp to my feet," and I need to be sure I have enough light to follow in Christ's footsteps. 

And then I realized:  all the days and months and years that I did read the Bible regularly and study it for Sunday School and teach about it in Bible Study have become a "scriptural nightlight!"  In my memory there is enough Scripture to help me see -- although dimly -- to follow the Way.  The path is illuminated enough to know the direction I should be going for now. There isn't enough Light to avoid stumbles.  For that I will need a strong flashlight -- or searchlight!  But, when my life is so hectic and my routine is being rearranged, my Scriptural Nightlight can get me through.

Thank you, Lord, that you have given me a night light when days are dreary and dim.  Thank you for the voice of your Holy Spirit that speaks a word in my ear: "Here is the path I want you to take. So walk on it." (Isaiah 30:21, New International Reader's Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment